by velocibadgergirl

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

summer reading project

I don't know how well this will go, but I am hoping to re-read Terry Pratchett's Discworld series in chronological order this summer. There are 30 books so far, not counting The Last Hero and the ones that are classified as young adult fiction.

I finished The Colour of Magic today, and I think it might be the first time I've actually read it all the way through. My first Discworld book was Soul Music, shortly followed by Small Gods, and I didn't really start reading them in order until a few years into my Pratchett habit. I also never went back and picked up the first two books in the series, until now. I'd tried to read them each at least once before and had trouble getting into them. I've never been a huge Rincewind fan, so I think that had something to do with it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed The Colour of Magic. I'm sure many Pratchett fans will disagree, but I don't really feel that the author had hit his stride quite yet in the early Discworld books. Even the third book in the series, Equal Rites, didn't really zing like his more recent stuff. But the fourth book, Mort, had parts that left me with my mouth hanging open. It was as if suddenly Pratchett nailed what he was after and just ran with it.

It will be interesting to try to work my way through the books one by one instead of jumping around to just re-read my favorites.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger bibliophile81 said...

OMG! VelociBadgergirl posted something on her book blog!

Very ambitious project. I've never been good at re-reading anything. I have read Jane Eyre twice, but I think that's it, unless you wanna include stuff like The Lorax and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. Why Jane Eyre? I don't really know. I've been seriously thinking about listening to audiobook editions of books I've already read, while I'm in the car.

11:17 PM  
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

personally i didn't really feel like mort was quite all the way there either, although closer.

while they aren't quite as developed as the later stuff, the first two don't bother me at all, and i rather enjoy them. equal rites does bug me though, but i couldn't really say why.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home